It’s been 20 years. I’m not sure I have anything new to say.
On April 20, 1999, at 11:19am MDT, the world changed.
As the anniversary has approached I’ve tried to think what I want to say about that day and those that followed. I’ve written about it a number of times over the past two decades, and honestly I’m not sure I have much to add.
Instead, let me briefly link you to those pieces, and encourage you especially to have a look at “Columbine: the Power of Symbols.” It may be the best thing I ever wrote, and it was certainly the most difficult and painful.
- Columbine and the power of symbols
- It was eight years ago today
- Ten years on: was Columbine the rule or the exception?
- Ten years on: the enduring lessons of Columbine
- Columbine High School, April 20, 1999, 11:19am MDT: “Go! Go!”
- Columbine: 17 years ago today
If I do think of anything else I’ll let you know.