What did Griffin think was going to happen?
Kathy seems to have gone Fukushima on us. She lost her CNN gig and an endorsement deal for some kind of potty product (that she even had such a deal by itself tells you how far down the celebrity pecking order she was to start with), among other things.
Comedian Kathy Griffin tearfully apologized in a Friday press conference for posing with a fake bloodied and severed head depicting U.S. President Donald Trump, saying that she felt her career was now over and that Trump “broke” her.
“I don’t think I will have a career after this. I’m going to be honest, (Trump) broke me,” said Griffin, 56, a two-time Emmy-winning performer known for her deliberately provocative brand of humor. She added that she had received death threats.
“I’m not afraid of Donald Trump, he’s a bully,” adding that she intended to continue making jokes about the president.
“What’s happening to me has never happened ever, in the history of this great country, which is that a sitting president of the United States and his grown children and the first lady are personally, I feel, trying to ruin my life – forever,” she said.
Woman, what did you THINK was going to happen?
Griffin has obviously seen enough of Donald to know exactly who and what he is. Bullying? Trying to “break her”? Trying to ruin her life? Duh. Of course he’s going to try to destroy her. This is like accusing Shaquille O’Neal of being tall.
I’m frankly a little baffled. As @Doc noted the other day, Kathy Griffin isn’t funny. It’s beginning to look like she’s not very bright, either. Which I hate, because I am more than willing to support people who will drop the gloves with Der Orangefuhrer. But if you drop the gloves, get slapped in the lips, then run crying… I mean, what the fuck is that?
You may have heard to old adage: If you’re going to shoot at the king, don’t miss. Let me add a corollary: If you don’t want the secret police setting the dogs on you, don’t shoot at the king to start with.
An Alternate Hypothesis
Maybe none of this is real. What if it’s all carefully crafted Kabuki aimed at transforming a no-talent, but brighter-than-she-seems F-list also-ran relevant again? What if one of her F-list agents, said “yo, K-Grif – I know how we can make the world notice you again!”
I mean, notoriety is better than nothing. People are talking about her today, and while she may have alienated 75% of America, if she can make some hay with the remaining 25%, well, that’s better than what she had working for her this time last week.
If she finds herself getting invited on shows and maybe getting some bookings once the furor dies down, we’ll know we been played.
Jesus is coming, children, and his agent is taking calls…