A belated lesson for Ted Cruz on speaking for the people

It helps when more people are behind you. How’s the view from under the bus?

ICYMI: Politico 9/28 – Cruz sternly rebuked by GOP

On Monday night, Cruz’s colleagues ignored his attempt to disrupt Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s efforts to fund the government without attacking Planned Parenthood. In an unusual rebuke, even fellow Republicans denied him a “sufficient second” that would have allowed him a roll call vote.

Then, his Republican colleagues loudly bellowed “no” when Cruz sought a voice vote, a second repudiation that showed how little support Cruz has: Just one other GOP senator — Utah’s Mike Lee — joined with Cruz as he was overruled by McConnell and his deputies.

Life must be truly surreal for him these days. I mean:

“There are no mystical powers that allow you to roll over that. But in the House we still got 30, 40, 50 strong conservatives,” Cruz said.

Really, now? Which one of them was strong enough to introduce those much dreamed of articles of impeachment? Funny definition of strong he has there.

Never one to be found in an article without a closing punchline:

“The Democrats are objecting to my speaking further. And both the Democrats and Republican leadership are objecting to the American people speaking further. I yield the floor,” Cruz said quietly.

Finally, a detail about which I can quibble. Cruz suggests he speaks for Americans. Technically, he speaks for 4.5 million of them, the Texans who voted him into office. Probably the same ones who love America so much they murmur about secession and want the Great Wall of Mexico to block out all those other inferior Americans. In other words, slightly more than 1% of Americans. Of the other 99 Senators speaking for the other ~99% of the country, he only had the support of one other, Mike Lee (R-UT), who won his seat with only ~390,000 votes, or about, oh, less than half of 1%.

I won’t speculate as to the sincerity of Cruz’ beliefs and the basis on which he fails to legislate effectively, but when you only speak for maybe 1.5% of Americans, as evidenced by the support you get in the Senate, you’re not speaking for “Americans” more generally speaking.

Of course, hey, I could be wrong. 2016 is around the corner and maybe all those shadow Americans will appear in force at the polls to elect a Senate that rallies around him instead of throwing him under the bus.




1 reply »