Before the season began, I fully expected my Red Sox to finish last in the AL East. (I wasn’t the only one.) I figured Ellsbury and Petey would be solid, but past that there were so very many discouraging things to consider:
- New manager: there was reason to be hopeful about John Farrell, but still, new guy at the helm means uncertainty.
- Big Papi isn’t getting any younger, and he was already too old.
- As I looked down the roster I saw more no-names, has-beens, not-ready-for-primetimes and retreads than I could shake a stick at.
- Was the ghost of Josh Beckett fully exorcised? (This is also known as the “Jon Lester question.)
- Was John Lackey going to be epically bad or merely bad?
Shows what the hell I know.