- Tim Tebow, late in the first half, finally completes his first pass. Guy at next table, vibrating with excitement, says to friend “they talk about Tebow being a football player, but that’s the great quarterback!”
- Tim Tebow runs for a couple of yards. Nearby fan to companion: “They should let Tebow call his own plays!!”
- In overtime, the offensive line opens a nice hole and Willis McGahee hits it for a big gainer. Broncos fan, as McGahee is running: “TEBOW!!!!!!”
Some interesting statistics:
- Denver’s record in 2011 with Tim Tebow as a starter: 5-1.
- Combined record of teams Denver has beaten in 2011 with Tim Tebow as the starter: 24-30.
- Average points surrendered by Denver defense in those wins: 15.
- Average points scored per team per game, NFL, 2011: 21.85.
- Tim Tebow Passer Rating: 78.4 (ranks 24th in league).
- Tim Tebow QBR: 36.2 (ranks 30th in the league).
Some random observations, apropos of nothing, really:
- It is one thing to win because of a player. It’s another thing entirely to win despite that player.
- It’s good when a QB makes a precision throw for a completion. However, every practice squad quarterback in the league can make that same precision throw. The difference between star and practice squad is the ability to do it consistently.
- Those who dismiss objective flaws in a player’s game by saying “he’s a winner” are suggesting that success has nothing to do with, you know, ability. Perhaps people who lack ability themselves have a vested interest in this being true. Hard to say.
- So much talk about late comebacks. So little talk about the ineptitude earlier in the game that necessitated the comeback.
Hope everybody is enjoying their sports Sunday as much as I am…