- During a preseason game between the Flyers and Rangers last night, Philly’s Wayne Simmonds and New York’s Sean Avery engaged in some predictable contentiousness. I say predictable because Avery is without question the most annoying little fuckhead in hockey history and there’s always contentiousness when he’s in the building.
- At one point, Simmonds is alleged to have called Avery a “faggot.”
- Avery reported that this happened. Ironically, given his penchant for being the most annoying little fuckhead in hockey history, we need to recall that a few months back Avery actually came out and publicly called for the legalization of gay marriage. That may or may not bear on this story.
- This morning GLAAD called for the NHL and the Flyers to punish Simmonds.
- My initial reaction is that here in America, we prefer to have a trial before the execution.
- Then I hit the Web looking for the video. I found this.
- Never mind. Cart and horse appear to be in the proper order.
- So now the league has reviewed the situation and, well, this: “Since there are conflicting accounts of what transpired on the ice, we have been unable to substantiate with the necessary degree of certainty what was said and by whom.” No penalty.
Really? Because I watched that video multiple times and while I’m not a trained lip reader, I don’t know that you need to be in this case.
So my question for the NHL is fairly simple: what do you think he said at the :12 mark of that clip linked above?