by Seth Michalak
1988 is the first year I can recall being cognizant of national conventions. In the intervening 20 years, never have I seen a convention that has been as much of a three-ring circus as what has already gone on this week at the Republican National Convention in Minnesota. With delays because of the hurricane that didn’t amount to much and the Palin circus, I’m still waiting to hear anything of substance come from the X-Cel Center stage.
Since we might be waiting awhile for something substantive to happen, I thought it might be fun to create a playlist of songs that represent the key players at this week’s RNC. So, with tongue planted firmly in cheek, this Democrat is happy to present the Official 2008 RNC Mixtape:
- Bristol Palin: “Wouldn’t Mama be Proud” – Elliott Smith
- Baby-daddy Levi: “Up the Junction” – Squeeze
- Todd “The First Dude” Palin: “Nanook Rubs It” – Frank Zappa
- Sarah Palin: “Out of My Depth” – Everclear
- Fred Thompson: “Let me Clear My Throat” – DJ Kool
- Laura Bush: “The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death” – The Housemartins
- George W. Bush: “A Million Miles Away” – The Plimsouls
- Joe Lieberman: “Turncoat” – Anti-Flag
- Rudy Giuliani: “Killing an Arab” – The Cure
- Cindy McCain: “Been Caught Stealing” Jane’s Addiction
- John McCain: “Here we Go Again” – Everclear
- Larry Craig: “We Both Go Down Together” – The Decemberists
So tell me, who did I miss, or where am I completely off base? Hit me with your best shot.