By Ann Ivins
Yes, I know.
Whatever the private depths of American bigotry may be, one thing is clear. In publicly sanctioned discourse, a powerful black man is no longer anybody’s nigger, but a powerful woman is still every misogynist’s bitch.
Yes, I’m angry about that. No, I don’t plan to get over it, shut up about it or stop working to change it. It seems you’re even angrier than I am, because your rage has evidently destroyed any principles or intelligence you may once have had. Hillary Clinton tried to show you the big picture, but if it’s only about women’s issues for you, let this woman point out what your resentment vote for John McCain will buy you and me and all of our daughters and sisters and friends for the next eight years or so.
- Federal funding and required insurance coverage for family planning, contraception and preventive women’s health care will disintegrate.
- Supreme Court justices will be hand-picked to overturn Roe v. Wade.
- Tax dollars will continue to pour into abstinence-only sex education, which will continue not to work.
- Emergency contraception will be outlawed or made impossible to obtain.
- Fair pay for women? Ignored, if McCain’s past record is any indication. And it is.
John McCain belongs to a club that never has and never will want you as a member. Why the hell are you trying to join?