by Lee Camp
Recently I was arguing with one of my dumber friends about the Iraq war. He loves Bush and thinks bigger bombs is the answer in Iraq. I wasnâ€™t gaining any ground in the argument until I used a simple analogy. I said, â€œYour solution is like shattering an expensive vase and then saying, â€˜We need to keep smashing it until itâ€™s fixed.â€™â€
I stumped him. He was silent. So hereâ€™s a brief list of other analogies you can use on your dumb friends. And the truth is, Iâ€™ve seen similar ones work on some of the smartest political pundits.
1) The country of Iraq has essentially been demolished. The right-wingers keep saying the answer is continued large-scale military action. Thatâ€™s like if someone got into a car accident, went into a coma, and the doctors believed the patient could be healed by more car accidents. So they just keep putting him into cars and sending him off cliffs.
2) Iâ€™ve heard people say that being against Bush or Petraeus or the war in Iraq is equivalent to being against the troops. Thatâ€™s like if I knew someone who repeatedly sent brave puppies out into traffic. I called that person an asshole for abusing the puppies and abusing their power. Then you accused me of being anti-puppy.
3) The administration talks about the success of the surge because violence has decreased, but weâ€™re in fact paying the militias not to kill each other or our soldiers. Itâ€™s like if you were treading water, two sharks approach and begin biting you, you give each one a small piece of fish to distract them. While they take a moment to eat the fish, you sit there treading water and yelling, â€œProblem solved!â€
4) At the Petraeus hearings, he refused to give any sort of definition for â€œvictoryâ€ in Iraq. Thatâ€™s like running a foot race, youâ€™ve gone 30 miles, youâ€™re exhausted, and when you ask your coach driving along next to you how much farther, he just keeps saying â€œYouâ€™ll know it when you get there.â€ He keeps saying that until you collapse and die.
5) We claim to be â€œfighting the terroristsâ€ in Iraq, but in fact our presence is helping to create more terrorists. The disaster in Iraq serves as a great training and recruiting tool for an entire generation of terrorists. Itâ€™s like trying to kill a gremlin by dousing him in water.
6) KBR, Halliburton, Blackwater and other companies have huge pull in our government (such as the vice presidency). So essentially they decide when the war is over. They also happen to be making millions upon millions of dollars from the war. So asking them to decide when the war is over, is like asking an ugly guy cast in a threesome porn movie to decide when the scene is over. Chances are the scene would go on for months, if not years. The entire crew would be standing around asking, â€œItâ€™s not over yet? When will we know when itâ€™s time to end it?â€ And the ugly guy would respond, â€œUm, itâ€™s a bad idea to set timetables. Just trust me on this.â€
7) Lastly, President Bush is like a colorblind child with a Rubikâ€™s Cube.
Over the past four years Lee Camp has performed stand-up comedy at over 300 colleges nationwide, but we don’t hold that against him. He was called one of the best New Faces at the Montreal Comedy Festival, and he’s been featured on Comedy Central. He has also performed countless shows with Laughing Liberally, and writes and produces comedic activism videos. He recently went on Fox News’s morning show and called them a “parade of propaganda and a festival of ignorance.” The clip was viewed over half a million times online. An unmarked black SUV now follows him everywhere he goes.