If you’ve been around awhile, then yes, you have seen this item before. It originally posted on Jan. 25, 2008 and was updated on April 19, 2010, in May 2011, on August 25, 2013, and most recently on July 13, 2014, when I arrived in Bend, OR.
I tend to move a lot, and now it’s just happened again – although this time I’m so damned happy about it I can barely sit still. See, on November 25 – two days before Thanksgiving – I rolled back into Colorado. Home. Hopefully for good.
The way this post works is that every time I pull up the tent and head off somewhere else, I refresh it and give people a chance to offer their thoughts on their own mobility and that of their families, friends and neighbors.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a life to enjoy.
We’ve become a very mobile culture. Education, jobs, adventure, marriage – there are a lot of things that call us away from home in ways that were unprecedented even a generation ago.
I’m like a lot of people in that I’ve moved around a lot, especially in the past few years. For instance, this is the 34th place I have lived in my life and last month marked my 18th move since fall of 1993, with nine of them being of the interstate/cross-country variety.
Three or four times I was in a place for a couple years or more, so that means there have also been times when I moved more than once a year, with all the stress that comes with it. (This last loop – Denver to Seattle to Bend, OR and back to Denver in 15 months nearly killed me.) And this doesn’t even account for the times I moved back into the family home through the years – summers during college, for instance; I had multiple tours at 3870 Eastview Dr.
Move 16 was one of the hellish ones. The job market in Denver, the city I have come to regard as home, was terrible. So I finally gave up on working for myself – something I’m not well suited for anyway – and the result was a new job with a great company 1331 miles away in Seattle. That’s a significant upheaval by any standard.
What happened next was … well, maddening. Three months after I arrived the home office back east closed the Seattle operation and laid us all off. Perfect – on the beach in a city where you have no network, and worse, a city known for being cold to newcomers.
I survived, barely, working projects (primarily for the company that had just laid me off) and then, in spring, they pinged me about coming back full time. Except I’d need to move to their Bend office. Less than a year after I moved from Denver to Seattle.
But, about the time I got hired back the company got purchased by a larger agency, and as fortune would have it, this one has an office in Denver and loves it when people move around.
By the time I arrived in Bend I was already plotting and as a result I never fully unpacked.
Maybe things are finally working out. Wish me luck.
Here’s the list of all the places I’ve lived in my life (that I can remember):
- 4945 Reid Rd., Winston-Salem NC
- Thomasville Rd. (Highway 109), WSNC (near current I-40 interchange)
- 3870 Eastview Dr., WSNC
- 4th Floor Taylor, Wake Forest University, WSNC
- 1st Floor Davis, Wake Forest University, WSNC
- 3rd Floor Theta Chi House, Wake Forest University, WSNC
- 2nd Floor Theta Chi House, Wake Forest University, WSNC
- Apartment, Polo Rd. at Rosedale Circle, WSNC
- Apartment, Fairlawn Dr., WSNC
- Euclid and Endsley, WSNC
- Springhouse Apartments, University Pkwy.,WSNC
- Van Hoy Ave., WSNC
- S. Washington St., Ames IA
- Apartment – can’t remember location, Ames, IA
- High Ave., Ames IA
- 715 Watson Ave., WSNC
- Apartment, Colorado and Foothills, Boulder CO
- Darley Ave., Boulder CO
- Apartment, S. Washington St., Denver CO
- Apartment, 11th and Pearl St., Denver CO
- Apartment, Lowry, Denver CO
- Apartment, Corona St., Denver CO
- Harbor Point Apartments, Dorchester MA
- Apartment, 10th and Sherman, Denver CO
- Townhouse (1st home owned), Jersey St., Denver CO
- Four Mile Rd., Allegany NY
- Brantley St., WSNC
- 7660 Dyer Rd., Louisville CO
- Broadlands, Broomfield CO
- Uptown Square, 19th and Penn, Denver CO
- Trocadero, 4655 West 37th Ave. A103, Denver CO
- The Link Apartments, 4550 38th Ave. SW #122, Seattle WA
- 1375 NE Elk Ct #157 (Sienna Pointe Apartments), Bend, OR
- Trocadero Apartments, Denver CO (again!)
So, how about you? I’m guessing you’ve moved about a bit as well, huh?
Is this typical? What does all this mobility mean, I wonder….